Thursday 16 June 2011

Tuesday Poem: "A Long Overdue Love Poem"



Like a faded, jaded rock star,
I am living on my back catalogue,
a Brian Jones of love poetry,
desperately trying to tread water
in the drowning pool
of former glories.

Every published paean to past girlfriends
or, worse, the first Mrs de Winter
is another slight,
a creeping acid on the heart.

But you must understand
the combination of lover and writer is a mixture
fraught with ambition and frustration,
the one eager to gush the mush of greeting cards,
the other keen to be taut and muscular,
slicing through cliché
like a hot knife through butter.

The excuses are legion but not without substance.
Family and fallow or prolific and personally bereft?
Domestic details build day by day,
like layers of archaeological detritus,
burying romance like a forgotten civilisation.

But dig, I urge you,
and you will find
that in the orange-gold curls of our youngest son,
in the night-time catch-up conversations in bed,
in the bold and imaginative artwork of our oldest son,
in the simple shared pleasure of watching a video
after putting our children to bed,
in a rare night out pursuing adult pleasures,
in reading stories to omnivorous listeners at bed-time,
in answering left-field questions about marine life,
in anticipating the sharing of life-defining experiences,
in seeing our sons every day exploring
and mapping out this thing called life,
even in the arguments, the tantrums and the tears
are the pillars of gold
which hold up this temple
to the many faces of love,
a love enduring,
a love made manifest in these two fine little men
who will carry our love into a future we will never see.

Please excuse me for posting my Tuesday Poem on a Thursday afternoon, but on Monday June 13, Christchurch was hit by two more large earthquakes of 5.9 and 6.3 magnitude. I was lying in my sick bed at the time, recovering from norovirus, a gastric illness which lurks about when a community lacks adequate sewerage facilities.


But on a more positive note, I thought I would post this poem which I wrote for my wife, Christine, a few years ago. When natural disasters keep occurring to us, we value our loved ones above all else. Love poetry has a long and noble tradition, but I must confess I find love poems the hardest poems to write. It can be hard to find an original angle on love and I'm always terrified that the poem will come off sounding trite and cliched.

No comments:

Post a Comment