Sunday 25 March 2012

Sadly, it hasn't gone away

Recently, I posted a poem on this blog called Letter to Vietnam which was inspired (this seems like the wrong word somehow in this context) by the murder of a very elderly Vietnamese man in Sydney in the early 1990s.

I think if we all examine our lives, our speech and our actions, it would only be the most saintly among us who could claim they never told a racist joke or thought a racist thought. But I believe most of us try our best to rise above the inherent racism which occurs in all races. White people are often singled out when the topic of racism is discussed, but, in reality, every race on this planet can be racist against another race, often their neighbours.

So, naturally, I was disturbed when I came upon the article below:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/6569704/Couple-set-their-dogs-on-Asians

It seems no matter how technologically advanced we've become, many of us have not advanced much beyond a caveman mentality. This may be unjust to cave people who, for all I know, may have been extremely tolerant and open-hearted people.

No comments:

Post a Comment