Tuesday 7 February 2017

Tuesday Poem: "The Track Less Thrashed" by Alain Frost (alias John Clarke)




Two tracks leading nowhere in the bush

Miles from anywhere, I rolled the window

Down and had a look up the first one, 

Considered the position briefly and 

Said I preferred the other one. My father

Looked up from his form guide and asked me why, 

I said because it's not this one. You talk

To him, mother, he said. I can't deal

With him, the boy's a bloody idiot.

There's no need for language said my mother. 

 

While the matter was discussed I climbed

A very large redgum out over the river

And in a sense I never quite came down. 

The great thing about being up a tree

Is that you're not going along a track.


by Alain Frost


Photo Courtesy of The Lumiere Reader

For more information on satirist, John Clarke, see:


http://mrjohnclarke.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment